Our homeschool programs offer lively, hands-on classes that are sure to engage students as they learn. Classes often include experiments, animal encounters, and educational games. This fall home school programs will be offered both in-person with small groups in our outdoor classroom, or virtual in the comfort of your home. Which ever way you participate, your student is sure to be engaged and enriched!
Registration coming soon!
Please call the education office at (864) 467-4850 to register for September Homeschool programs. October-December programs will be available for online registration mid-September.
Option 1: In-person Weekly Programs on Tuesdays or Wednesdays (scroll down for Option 2: Virtual programming)
- $35 for members; $40 for non-members per monthly unit
- Four weekly programs included in registration, 60 minute each program
- K5-2nd Grade at 9:00am-10:00am
- 3rd-5th Grade at 11:00am-12:00pm
- 6th-8th Grade at 1:00pm-2:00pm
- Small class sizes
- Outdoor classrooms
- Individual work spaces and supplies
- Facemasks required
Scroll down for program dates and descriptions
What steps are we taking to ensure your child’s safety?
In additional to amplified cleaning practices, and daily employee health screening, our practices have been modified to keep your children safe.
- Classes conducted in person will take place in our outdoor classroom areas. Outdoor classrooms are shaded and separated from the public. To ensure social distancing, class sizes will be kept to 10 students. Students will have individual work spaces for themselves and their siblings if applicable. Class supplies will be allocated each month for individual students, to allow for singular use. In between classes, instructors will conduct a thorough cleaning of all work spaces.
- Parents will drop off and pick up students at the front gate for class. If a parent would like to walk their student up to the classroom, or enjoy the zoo during class time, a pre-purchased, or reserved for members, ticket is required. In compliance with the Governor’s Executive Order, masks are required to be worn at the zoo.
- In case of light rain, the outdoor classrooms are covered. Please dress students in weather appropriate attire and close-toed shoes. In the case of inclement weather, classes will be moved to a safe shelter that still allows for social distancing. Classes will only be cancelled and prorated if the zoo is required to close to the public.
Option 2: Virtual Weekly Programs on Thursdays
- $15 for members; $20 for non-members per monthly unit
- Four weekly programs included in registration; 30-40 minutes each Thursday of the month.
- K5-2nd Grade at 9:00am
- 3rd-5th Grade at 10:00am
- 6th-8th Grade at 11:00am
- Small Class Sizes
- Virtual from your home
- Optional supply kit available for purchase for $20 each month, but not required.
Fall Semester Monthly Units
When registering for homeschool programs, participants register for a monthly unit which includes 4 programs. Registrations cannot be pro-rated for missed or absent dates. Classrooms are outside, covered shelters. Programs operate rain or shine. In the case of inclement weather, appropriate alternatives will be utilized.
September – Wetland Wonders
Wetlands have a huge part to play in environmental health. Learn how animals and people alike depend on these diverse habitats and meet some animal friends along the way.
In-person - call (864) 467-4850 to register for September programs.
Classes on Tuesdays, September 8th, September 15th, September 22rd, and September 29th.
Or, Classes on Wednesdays, September 9th, September 16th, September 23rd, and September 30th.
Virtual - call (864) 467-4850 to register for September programs.
Classes on Thursdays, September 10th, September 17th, September 24th, and October 1st
October – Animal Senses
Animals use many senses to understand the world around them. Join us as we discover the similarities and differences between human and animal senses.
Classes on Tuesdays, October 6th, October 13th, October 20st, and October 27th
Or, Classes on Wednesdays, October 7th, October 14th, October 21st, and October 28th
Classes on Thursdays, October 8th, October 15th, October 22nd, and October 29th
November – Secrets of Survival
Explore the secrets of survival. Defense strategies such as camouflage, mimicry, and behavior are introduced along with the familiar methods of defense like shells, spikes, poison, and venom.
Classes on Tuesdays, November 3rd, November 10th, November 17th, and November 24th
Or, Classes on Wednesdays, November 4th, November 11th, November 18th, and November 25th
Classes on Thursdays, November 5th, November 12th, November 19th, and December 3rd (November 26th skipped for Thanksgiving)
December – Animal Ambassadors
Animals show up in stories, art, music, dance, and so many more places throughout our lives. Join us as we discover how animals show up in different cultures around the world.
Classes on Tuesdays, December 1st, December 8th, December 15th, and December 22nd
Or, Classes on Wednesday, December 2nd, December 9th, December 16th, and December 23rd
Classes on Tuesdays, December 1st, December 8th, December 15th, and December 22nd Thursday classes in December will be conducted on Tuesdays.